Director - R&D, Medical Business
Research & Development | Santa Ana, CA
We are hiring a Director of Research and Development, Medical Business. The Director of R&D will provide management and leadership to achieve the Company’s objectives related to product research, development and support. The person in this role will be responsible for all activities relating to FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific’s Medical Division’s cell culture media technology, product development (cell culture media, devices, and assays), technical support, or process improvements. The medical business consists of assisted reproductive technology and cytogenetics products.
- Drive and direct the scientific research and development activities including discovery, evaluation, development, and licensing of new products through the management of product or project teams
- Responsible for managing multiple projects meeting their milestone measurements, performance specifications, production costs, development budget, and goal scheduling
- Execute and support product launch, commercialization, enhancement planning, and implementation in alliance with global marketing, operations, quality/regulatory, and sales functions
- Recruit and hire highly talented, motivated individuals with required skills and abilities with an emphasis on achieving the diversity necessary to establish an effective team
- Lead development of staff and the product development process for improved effectiveness and efficiency
- Represent R&D group across other departments communicating company objectives, inspiring scientific participation, brining solutions and resolving conflicts
- Participate as an active member of the senior management team with responsibility for assisting the Executive and Senior Management in setting strategy and achieving the company’s goals and objectives in all areas consistent with the FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific mission
- PhD in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Developmental Biology or related life science discipline with more than 10 years of industrial product development experience, or relevant work experience
- Successful track record of new product development and launch, from concept through pilot production, scale up and technology transfer to manufacturing is required
- Hands on management and involvement in of aspects of an R & D organization’s day-to-day operations is required
- Proven leadership and management ability, including strategic and analytical thinking, vision, market differentiation and business results required
- Thorough understanding of cell culture metabolism, biochemistry, and formulation chemistry is highly preferred
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of Assisted Reproductive Technology including embryology, andrology, in vitro fertilization, and media development & optimization is preferred
- Understanding of clinical trial designs is highly desirable
- Experience in in vitro diagnostics, and genomic or proteomic assay development is desirable
- Experience in cell-based imaging is a bonus
- Understanding of artificial intelligence (AI) concepts and basic understanding of programming is a bonus
- Excellent communication skills are necessary
- Mentoring, coaching and teaching ability and orientation is necessary
- People development, performance management and change management are necessary skills for success
For California, the base salary range for this position is $139,000 to $251,000 annually. Compensation for the successful candidate will depend on various factors (e.g., qualifications, education, prior experience, location, etc.).
Fujifilm is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation, and any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
In the event that COVID-19 vaccine mandates issued by the federal government, or by state or local government become effective and enforceable, the Company will require that the successful candidate hired for positions covered under relevant government vaccine mandate(s) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent being granted an accommodation due to medical or sincerely held religious belief or other legally required exemption. For all positions, the Company encourages vaccination against COVID-19 and may require that the successful candidate hired be willing to test for the COVID-19 virus periodically and wear a face covering indoors absent being granted an accommodation due to medical or sincerely held religious belief or other legally required exemption.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Fujifilm about this requisition. All resumes submitted by search firms’/employment agencies to any employee at Fujifilm via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Fujifilm, unless such search firms’/employment agencies were engaged by Fujifilm for this requisition and a valid agreement with Fujifilm is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Fujifilm agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.