Environmental Safe and Safety (EHS) Engineer
Corporate | Santa Ana | CA
We are seeking an individual to manage Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) compliance to federal, State and local regulations and to internal standards, programs, policies and procedures in an FDA regulated environment.
- Establishing and managing an employee safety and health program dedicated to minimizing employee injury and illness frequency, severity and cost. Provide goals, review metrics and propose methods to achieve goals.
- Directing environmental compliance programs related to hazardous wastes, air permitting, and water pollution control, TSCA, REACH and community right-to-know programs.
- Managing EHS in an FDA regulated environment.
- Managing internal and external EHS audit program.
- Manage EHS Committee and measure program effectiveness and assign relevant tasks to staff.
- Support Human Resources to manage worker’s compensation insurance carriers to assure cost effective coverage and cost-effective administration of reporting protocols and return to work / modified duty programs.
- Develop strategies for loss controls.
- Assure that relevant and effective training programs are in place to comply with statutory mandated employee training requirements.
- Research changes in Federal, State and local statutes relevant to the organization and revise polices if affected by changes, report and train.
- Develop operations policies and procedures to comply with statutory requirements. Manage, monitor and measure effectiveness. Assure timely filing of reports and permit applications to Federal, State and Local agencies as required.
- Assure that pertinent engineering process, manufacturing process, facility process and equipment design for environmental health and safety hazards are in place.
- Mandate changes to improve our engineering and administrative controls and assure that equipment and tooling are adequate for engineering controls. Monitor effectiveness of hazard control methods.
- Performing ergonomic assessments; developing repetitive motion, cut and other injury-related action plans and managing resolutions.
- Developing teammate engagement processes and driving advancement of the safety culture.
- Investigating all injuries and near misses; identifying root causes, developing, and implementing corrective actions.
- Develop and maintain the Site Preparedness and Emergency Plans & Procedures, responsible for maintenance of Disaster recovery plan / Business Continuity Plan (BCP) and execution of periodic training exercises.
- Works with all departments to develop appropriate training materials and programs that will foster a safe working environment and a culture of continuous Safety improvement. Utilizes existing resources where available and develops new materials as required.
- Maintains own level of training in CPR / First Aid, General Safety, Environmental (Chemical) disposal regulations, OSHA / CAL OSHA compliance and Workers Compensation compliance & case management.
- Trains department supervisors & managers in Safety Huddle program. Tracks frequency of meetings in each department to assure compliance. Issues topics for new meetings at least 1 week in advance.
- Management and coordination of annual employee EHS retraining.
- Responsible to identify new chemicals while they are being qualified in order to evaluate potential hazards and alternatives. Works with Lab personnel, Purchasing and Receiving to assure no chemicals are brought into facility without approval.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Prefer BS in Industrial EHS / related field.
- Certifications in any of the following are a plus: ASP, ASSE, CSP, REM, RIH, RPIH.
- 3 years of experience running an EHS program in a Medical Device manufacturing environment.
To Apply: Please send resume to: email@example.com. Please put EHS 102618 in the subject line.
Principals only. No recruiters please.
Irvine Scientific is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.